The Namdrol Pemay Gatsal (Lotus Grove of Liberation) at Pema Osel Ling holds a mandala of the eight traditional types of stupas representing the eight miraculous events in the Buddha’s life. In the center of the mandala is a Red Dorje Drolo stupa, which subdues negative forces and liberates upon seeing.
Story of the stupa:
“When such stupas hold transcendent buddhas’ sacred relics, they become sublime supports, the highest field for embodied beings’ cultivation of merit. Moreover, in general, each Buddhist way, great and small, has its own path’s belief system and characteristic manner of identifying stupas; this specific instance concerns one of the series that is commonly known as:
‘The eight stupas of the Joyous Buddha‘
1. When our teacher Powerful Sage attained perfect, manifest enlightenment under the tree of awakening, it is said that King Bimbasara and others constructed the Stupa to Subdue Negative Forces or the Stupa of Awakening.
2. When the Buddha was born in Lumbhi Gardens, it is said that King Shuddhodana and others constructed the Source of Joyous Buddhas Stupa or the Lotus Mound Stup
3. When the Buddha turned the Wheel of the Teachings in Varanasi, it is said that the Five Excellent Individuals constructed the Wheel of the Teachings Stupa or the Auspicious Many-Gated Stupa.
4. When the Buddha defeated non-Buddhist teachers in Sravasti’s Jéta Gardens, it is said that the Lichavis constructed the Miracle Stupa.
5. After the Buddha taught in the heavens, he returned to humans’ land in Kashi. It is said that the people of Kashi then constructed the Descent from the Heavens Stupa.
6. When the sublime pair of Buddha’s disciples repaired the schism caused by Devadatta in the Spiritual Community, it is said that the people of Maghadha constructed the Reparation of the Schism Stupa.
7. When the Buddha extended his life three months after the layman Chunda in Vaishali asked him to do so, it is said that the people of that town (or, according to some, the gods) constructed the Blessed Longevity Stupa or the Stupa of Total Victory.
8. When the Buddha transcended suffering in the town of Kushinagar, it is said that the Mallas constructed the Stupa of Transcendence
Further, it is said that in this world, the first among the Victor’s stupas is the Lotus Mound Stupa. Among this series of eight, this account centers upons the special support mentioned above as the Stupa to Subdue Negative Forces.”
“The Stupa to Subdue Negative Forces was consecrated on September 5, 2002, at the isolated retreat center of Péma Osel Ling in the western United States. On completion of that ceremony, some of my spiritual brothers and sisters encouraged me to write the story of the stupa to inspire others’ confidence.
Respecting their wishes, I, holder of the title Lama Tsédrup Tharchin, gathered the essential points and put them in context, in the wish that this text should prove entirely virtuous.”
To pacify mental illness and help change the world for the better…make a donation by clicking here: Vajrayana Foundation